Mount Clemens school board members apologize to community for twerking incident – Macomb Daily

[ad_1]

Members of the Mount Clemens Board of Education have apologized for the twerking scandal that has landed the district in national headlines and was mentioned on the Fox News network.

At Wednesday night’s meeting, the board addressed the incident, which is now being investigated by the administration and Macomb County Sheriff’s Office.

“On behalf of the members of the Mount Clemens Board of Education, the faculty and staff, and as president of this board, I apologize for the activities that happened on Saturday evening,” said board President Earl Rickman III.

Rickman said although the school board had no role in renting out the High School gym where the twerking took place, he sees the damage it has created to the district’s “image, reputation and perception” that were tarnished because of the widespread publicity.

The administration rented the gym to Rivals Recruiting Worldwide for what the organization had claimed was a charity event. During the event, a rap artist was accompanied by a woman in a  G-string and sports bra twerked on the gym floor making sexually provocative moves.

Video of the event quickly went viral.

Rapper O.T. Rell, who performed during a private last week at Mount Clemens High School, has been banned from the district. (PHOTO -- SCREEN GRAB OF VIDEO)
Rapper O.T. Rell, who performed during a private last week at Mount Clemens High School, has been banned from the district. (PHOTO — SCREEN GRAB OF VIDEO)

Trustee Jaime Collins said she was “shocked” by the video footage.

“I felt blindsided,” she said.

The board approved a motion to pause on renting school facilities to outside organizations for 30 days while the investigations are completed. Superintendent Monique Beels previously indicated the district will now require advance review of flyers for upcoming events at school facilities.

Parents and taxpayers who attended Wednesday night’s meeting also expressed outrage at the incident, as did a member of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s staff in a letter to the district.

Rickman, who formerly served as president of the National School Boards Association, said he has heard from people all over the country about the incident.

However, one former Mount Clemens resident who appears weeknights on the Gufield TV show on Fox News, said some of the drama may be an overreach.

Cast member Kat Timpf, who grew up in both Macomb and Oakland counties and attended a private school in Mount Clemens, noted Wednesday night there were no students in the gym on Saturday. In fact, according to the video, there was only a handful of people shown sitting in the bleachers.

The 33-year-old Timpf said based on her experience with the way young girls of today dance “that’s not the first time you’ve had bumping and grinding in Mount Clemens. Have you ever been to Mount Clemens? I have.”

Rivals Recruiting CEO and Mount Clemens grad Quentin Hines earlier apologized for not better screening the acts that appeared Saturday. The group has been banned from using Mount Clemens’ facilities.

Hines, a former NFL running back and Super Bowl winner, said there was no alcohol or drug consumption at the event.

The Macomb County Sheriff’s Office has indicated the high school received “allegations that there was alcohol and marijuana used at the event,” as well as allegations that “women were dancing nude.”

But investigators who watched the video, said they saw no “nudity or substance/alcohol use,” according to Fox News.

 

 

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *